Frequently asked questions
In June 2013, the NBI was awarded £8.6-million (more than R150-million) by the UK Government through its Department for International Development (DFID) to implement the PSEE as a countrywide programme of support for energy efficiency improvement in the private sector. The programme is supported by the South African Department of Energy and technical support is provided by the Carbon Trust, leveraging its experience of similar programmes in the UK. The NBI is a voluntary coalition of South African and multinational companies committed to working towards sustainable growth and development in South Africa.
The PSEE offers free services to SA businesses of all sizes through third-party expert consultants to help companies reduce energy consumption and costs.
- The NBI is voluntary member organisation with the mandate to support companies make strides towards sustainable growth and development. Under the NBI Energy Focus Area, energy efficiency plays a critical role in mitigating the effects of climate change and helping businesses become more competitive
- Energy Efficiency is the hidden or “first fuel” within the reach of all businesses to achieve more with less energy
- The DoE set a 12% energy intensity reduction target by 2015. The PSEE assists businesses in making responsible decisions and taking action
The PSEE offers the following support activities:
Small businesses qualify for the following support:
- Free workshops on energy efficiency and topics such as lighting, HVAC (heating, ventilation and air-conditioning), motors and drives, etc.
- Access to our in-house Technical Experts over the phone
- Tools, publications and information on our website.
Medium businesses receive up to four days of direct support that includes:
- site surveys
- energy audits
- face-to-face engagements to identify energy efficiency opportunities
- mitigating exposure
- follow-up services.
In the case of large companies with an energy spend of R45 million or more per annum the PSEE offers specialised energy audits (one per company) undertaken by specialist consultants and focusing on a specific system with significant energy savings potential, for example lighting; compressed air; heating, ventilation and air-conditioning; etc. These companies will also be assisted with measurement and verification to quantify savings achieved on such systems. This service is fully subsidised by the PSEE.
- Programme Staff
- Help Desk services
- Website offerings
- Consultants and expert Services matched with company needs
- Department of Energy & Other Partners
- Through collaborative/collective action and advocacy
The PSEE is a nationwide programme and aims to reach small, medium and large organisations from all nine provinces in South Africa. We do recognise that our presence may be more limited in some areas due to lower levels of economic activity. The Programme therefore attempts to accommodate all qualifying participants regardless of their geographic location.
Applying for energy saving advice is EASY.
- Step 1. Call this number Toll-free : 0801 113 943
- Step 2. Speak to one of our qualified expert advisers
- Step 3. They will guide you through a number of questions and advise you on the services that your company qualifies for
The PSEE team is ready and waiting for your call or email. Call us now toll-free on: 0801 113 943 to talk to an expert adviser or explore the website for free energy reduction guides and advice that you are welcome to download.
Help-desk services, workshops and publications at no cost to you
Fully-funded four-day energy surveys and follow-up services. Last date to sign up: 31 September 2015
Up to 60% subsidised energy-reduction consultancies that take place over an eight-month period